Centre of Excellence for Ayurveda Ophthalmology
A national referral centre recognized as Centre of Excellence for Ayurveda Ophthalmology by Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India, with following prime objectives:
- Develop a good diagnostic centre on scientific lines in Netra Roga
- A documentation centre for standard treatment protocols, effect of Ayurveda treatment in various eye disorders.
- Conduct training programmes, CME, ROTP of different duration and to start certification, diploma and Ph.D/M.S (Ayu.) programs relating to Netra Roga.
- Research on the Netra Roga related Kriya Kalpa procedures and their scientific standardization.
- Develop pharmacopoeia standards of Ayurvedic medicines used in Netra Roga at Sreedhareeyam like various types of Anjana, Ghrita, Bidalak, Pindi, Eye Drops and other Ayurvedic medicines used for internal use in eye disorders.
Following are the details of clinical research programs already completed and the ongoing projects:
Clinical research programs already completed
- Ayurvedic treatment protocol for Retinitis Pigmentosa – 50 subjects
- A single centre, open labeled, observational study of selected ayurvedic therapies in the management of non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy – 30 subjects
- A single centre, observational trial to assess the efficacy of Ayurvedic therapy in treating and preventing further deterioration of vision in Progressive Myopia among children and Adolescents – 32 subjects
- A single centre, open labeled, observational study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Ayurvedic medical management in the condition of Keratoconus in 30 patients between the age group of 18 to 30 years.
- A single centre, open labeled, observational study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Ayurvedic medical management in the condition of age related macular degeneration (AMD or ARMD) in 30 patients between the age group of 40 to 75 years.
In addition to Clinical research, the centre is also involved in following activities
Scientific books preparation plan consists of preparing evidence based medical text books on eye diseases with existing traditional literature, clinical experiences and modern research data.
Books under publication
- A hand book on Ayurvedic and modern perspectives in Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Pramehajanya Netra Roga – A hand book on Ayurvedic perspectives and practice in Diabetic Retinopathy.
- An Ayurvedic perspective on Age related Macular Degeneration (Drishtigata Rogam)
- An Ayurvedic perspective on Keratoconus
- Various journals
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) program on Shalakya with specialization in Netra Roga
As a commitment to advancing excellence in medical education, we have been conducting Continuing Medical Education (CME) program, exclusively on Shalakya with specialization in Netra Roga, at our institute to provide educational activities to physicians that reinforce basic medical knowledge, impart updated information on clinical practice and healthcare delivery, introduce new ideas, skills & technology and disseminate pertinent research findings in order to improve the quality of healthcare.
Our CME activities highlight innovative procedures and technologies, examine current controversies in treatment, and provide updates on the latest advances in the understanding and treatment of eye diseases. The institute has the right resources to ensure that the CME programs are in full compliance and clinical skills of all participants will be advanced and enhanced leading to improvements in competence performance and patient outcomes.